Thursday, 25 July 2013

untitled for 27/7/13

you land on
dinosaur feet,
jump
and
clump
through the hall
asking if it's
"morning time"
and so the day
begins
with a tap of my head
a demand to get up
and a reason to live.

as you run
you pull a plastic orca from its slumber
in a wicker basket of concealed anarchy.

(i pray that your eagerness is
not
biodegradable
like mine.)

rushing to your place
a little chair and table
(fodder for a future car-boot sale)
you wait
for
weetabix and shreddies
and disney junior
to swirl together in the milk of
your morning,
before
moving into adventures of
knights, pirates, shark-hunters, monsters.

drawing your masterpiece
you talk and talk.
and ply my mind with:
"were computers wooden in your day?"
and
"who was the first prince?"
and challenge
misconceptions
that have been set
these forty years.

and on
you dance
and hug or
sumo-wrestle me
and
stagger me,
through my days.

stay eager and alive
searching, healthy in your mind,
whoever you become:

you make me prouder
than perfection could,
you are my son.







3 comments:

  1. smiles...wonderful...ha...thy are a reason to live...and i hope that eagerness is non biodegradable as well...they keep us young, keep us living...have fun wrestling....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this because it brought father/son relationship alive. I then went on to read the next post about Andy Murray and discovered that you are very good with words and poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful David. Wonderful! Definitely warmed my heart. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. Have a great day :)